In the 42nd match of the ongoing Big Bash League 2022-23 between Hobart Hurricanes and Sydney Thunder, fast bowler Nathan Ellis bagged a hat-trick across two overs.
Ellis became the ninth bowler in the history of BBL and second in the current season to achieve the feat.
Notably, just a few days back, Brisbane Heats’ Michael Neser took a hat-trick against Melbourne Renegades in BBL 12.
After winning the toss and opting to bat first, Thunder failed to start their innings well and lost opening batter David Warner for a golden duck in the very first over.
Ellis, who came in to bowl the fourth over for Hurricanes, dismissed Mathew Glikes on the final ball of that over and picked up his first wicket of the match. The wicket-keeper batter was found leg before wicket (lbw) by the umpire. However, Glikes challenged the decision but ended up losing the review.
Ellis, resuming his spell in the 15th over, on the very first delivery (14.1), took the wicket of dangerous-looking Oliver Davies 45 (38) as Faheem Ashraf caught the batter in the cover region. The 28-year-old on the next ball (14.2) cleaned up Nathan McAndrew for a duck and etched his name into the record books with his maiden hat-trick. He is the second Hurricanes’ bowler after left-arm spinner Xavier Doherty to register a hat-trick in the BBL. Doherty did the same back in 2012-13.
Ellis seemed to be unaware of his hat-trick as his celebration after dismissing McAndrew was a normal one.
Here’s the video:
NATHAN ELLIS TAKES A HAT-TRICK!
But it was over multiple overs… did he know? #OhWhatAFeeling @Toyota_Aus | #BBL12 pic.twitter.com/HCFHCR9XP2
— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) January 15, 2023
Ellis further took the wicket of Ben Cutting and finished with impressive figures of 4-0-27-4.
Talking about the match, Thunders put up a total of 135 for the loss of 8 wickets in their allotted 20 overs. In reply, Hurricanes at one point seemed to be struggling with 20/3 but ultimately chased the set target in 16.1 overs. Tim David 76 (41) played a match-winning knock for his team.
List of hat-tricks in the BBL:
- Xavier Doherty, Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Thunder, 2012-13
- Andrew Tye, Perth Scorchers vs Brisbane Heat, 2016-17
- Andrew Tye, Perth Scorchers vs Sydney Sixers, 2017-18
- Josh Lalor, Brisbane Heat vs Perth Scorchers, 2018-19
- Rashid Khan, Adelaide Strikers vs Sydney Sixers, 2019-20
- Haris Rauf, Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder, 2019-20
- Gurinder Sandhu, Sydney vs Thunder Perth Scorchers, 2021-22
- Cameron Boyce, Melbourne Renagades vs Sydney Thunder, 2021-22
- Michael Neser, Brisbane Heat vs Melbourne Renegades, 2022-23
- Nathan Ellis, Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Thunders, 2022-23
#WATCH #Hobart #Hurricanes #Nathan #Ellis #picks #hattrick #Sydney #Thunder #BBL12